Within this policy you will find information on the following:
Who this statement applies to
Within our website, there may be links to third-party websites or applications. We are not responsible for the content or privacy compliance of third-party websites or applications. You should check those websites or applications for their privacy statements and the terms that apply.
Children’s Privacy. FSL provides services for persons who are at least 18 years of age or have otherwise reached the age of majority. Our Services are not aimed at children and we do not intentionally collect minors’ personal information.
Types and sources of personal information we collect
We may collect two kinds of information about you: (a) information that personally identifies you, and (b) information that does not personally identify you that we automatically collect when you visit this website or that you provide us. Personally identifiable information that is not publicly available, or nonpublic personal information (NPI), is subject to additional privacy protections.
Personal information: We may collect the following categories of personal information. Following the categories are non-exclusive examples.
- Contact information: Name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar information.
- Personal identifiers: Name, birth date, signature.
- Government identifiers: Social Security number, state driver’s license or identification card number.
- Account credentials: User name, password and other security information for authentication and access.
- Account information: Information related to your policies with us; credit card, debit card number, or bank account number; transaction history.
- Health information: Age, height, weight, test and lab results, medical conditions, and familial medical history.
- Biometric information: Your likeness.
- Employment information: Occupation, employer, education.
- Account communications: Call logs and emails.
- Website activity: Search and browsing history, and data collected by cookies or other similar technologies.
- Online identifiers and device information: Internet Protocol (IP) address, unique device identifier and serial number.
Non-personal information: This is any information that does not personally identify you. Non-personal information can include certain personally identifiable information that has been de-identified, or rendered anonymous. We may use your non-personal information by itself or aggregate it with information we have obtained from others.
We obtain non-personal information about you from information that you provide us, either separately or together with your personally identifiable information. We also automatically collect certain non-personal information from you when you access this website. This information can include, among other things: the type of browser you are using (e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.), the third-party website from which your visit originated, the operating system you are using (e.g., Windows XP, Windows 7, Macintosh OS, etc.), the domain name of your Internet service provider (e.g., America Online, NetZero, AT&T, etc.), the specific areas of this website that you visit, and the duration of your visit.
Our servers, logs and other technologies automatically collect system/device and usage information to help us administer, protect and improve our website, analyze usage and improve users’ experience. More information regarding cookies and similar technologies is provided below.
How we use personal information
We may use the personal information we collect for the following purposes:
- Marketing and providing insurance;
- Determining your eligibility for a quote;
- Calculating your premium;
- Administering claims;
- Answering questions and providing notifications;
- Supporting day-to-day business operations and insurance related functions;
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against fraudulent or illegal activity, and to comply with regulatory and law enforcement authorities;
- Confirming your identity and servicing your policy;
- Providing customer and technical support;
- Enhancing your customer experience and improving our products and services;
- Creating, maintaining, customizing and securing accounts;
- Undertaking internal research for technological development;
- Developing and offering new products and services;
- Marketing products and services with strategic partners;
- Exercising and defending our legal rights and positions;
- Managing risk and securing our systems, assets, infrastructure, and premises;
- Responding to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations;
- To fulfill FSL’s contractual obligations;
- To help ensure the safety and security of FSL’s staff, assets, and resources, which may include, but is not limited to, physical and virtual access controls and access rights management; supervisory controls and other monitoring and reviews, as allowed by law; and emergency and business continuity management; and
- As otherwise required by federal or state law.
You can choose to receive information about our products and services. In these instances, we may request your consent.
Where we use your personal information to provide you with information or services that you request, we do this based on your consent or because it is necessary for the performance of an agreement with you.
Where we use your personal information in relation to marketing, improvement or development of our website or services, for reasons of safety and security, or regulatory requirements other than in connection with your agreement or request, we do this on the basis of legitimate businesses interests. We may assess and de-personalize the personal information we collect to develop aggregate analysis and business intelligence for conducting our business and for marketing purposes.
How and with whom we share your information
We may share the above categories of personal information with the following third parties in order to operate our business and provide services to you:
- Service providers: We may share your personal information with our third-party vendors performing functions on our behalf (or on behalf of our affiliated companies), e.g., vendors that assist with insurance underwriting, policy and claims administration, processing credit card payments, and other companies that provide us with marketing or promotional assistance, analysis of our data, assistance with customer service, support of our website, etc. Our service providers agree to use this information only to perform these tasks on our behalf, are required to maintain appropriate security protections, and not to disclose or use the information for any other purpose.
- Within our corporate family: We may share information with our affiliates, to the extent permitted by law.
- If there is a change in corporate structure or ownership: We may share information in connection with a merger, acquisition, consolidation, change of control, or sale of all or a portion of our business or property.
- Third parties for legal proceedings or to prevent harm: We may share your information as required by law, to comply with legal process, to protect our legal rights, to protect the safety or security of a person, or to protect against fraud, criminal acts, or misconduct. We reserve the right to disclose any personally identifiable information or non-personal information about you if we are required to do so by law, or if we believe that such action is necessary to: (a) fulfill a government request; (b) conform with the requirements of the law or legal process; (c) protect or defend our legal rights or property, this website, or other users; or (d) in an emergency to protect the health and safety of this website's users or the general public.
Regardless of how you interact with FSL we do not sell ANY information collected to any third parties.
How we safeguard personal information
How we store and delete personal information
We will not retain personal information longer than necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it is processed, including the security of our processing, complying with legal and regulatory obligations (e.g. audit, accounting, statutory and company retention terms), handling disputes, and for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
Our cookie types and how we use them
- Performance cookies: These cookies collect information about how you use our websites. Information collected includes, for example, the Internet browsers and operating systems used, the domain name of the website previously visited, the number of visits, average duration of visit, and pages viewed. These cookies only collect information in an aggregated format. Performance cookies are used to improve the user-friendliness of a website and enhance your experience.
- Functionality cookies: These cookies allow the website to remember choices you make (such as your user name or ID, language preference, or the area or region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts, and other customizable parts of web pages. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for, such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. These cookies cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
How do I change my cookie settings?
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our website. You can manage website cookies in your browser settings, and you always have the choice to change these settings by accepting, rejecting, or deleting cookies. If you choose to change your settings, you may find that certain functions and features will not work as intended on the website. All browser settings are slightly different, so to manage cookies, you should refer to the relevant settings within your browser.
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set, visit www.aboutcookies.com or www.allaboutcookies.org.
Find out how to manage cookies on popular browsers:
To find information relating to other browsers, visit the browser developer's website.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) requires covered entities, including health insurance plans, to protect their members’ individually identifiable health information, called protected health information (PHI). HIPAA’s Security Rule requires additional protections for electronic protected health information (e-PHI), which is all individually identifiable health information a covered entity creates, receives, maintains, or transmits in electronic form. FSL is considered a covered entity under HIPAA. For more information on how we comply with these rules, please refer to our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices (“HIPAA Notice”) found at www.fslins.com.
We want to make sure you are aware of the following rights under privacy and data protection laws.
- Right of access: The right to access personal information that we have collected about you and to receive a copy of that personal information.
- Right to rectification: The right to have inaccurate information about you corrected or removed.
- Right to restriction of processing: The right to request that your personal information is only used for restricted purposes.
- Right to object: The right to object to disclosure of your personal information in response to notice that disclosure is being required in order to comply legal requirements and procedures.
- Right to withdraw consent: The right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us with respect to your personal information. If you withdraw your consent, this will not affect the lawfulness of our use of your personal information prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
These rights are not absolute, and may not apply in all situations.
For questions or requests related to any of the rights above, please contact us using the contact information below.
Depending on your request, we may ask you to verify your identity, and to provide information that helps us to understand your request better.
How to contact us
Fidelity Security Life Insurance Company
Kansas City, MO 64111
Please provide your name, email address, telephone number, and mailing address and details concerning your request.
We will respond and, if applicable and appropriate, make the requested change as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that we may not be able to fulfill certain requests while continuing to allow access to certain benefits, features and services offered on or through this website, or through our Services.
Changes to this privacy notice